Four Important Steps to Detoxify Your Brain Now (plus a little bonus)!
1. Sleep is Critical
The Glymphatic system clears waste most effectively during slow wave sleep. Sleep plays a crucial role in our brain’s physiological maintenance.
The Key element is the fluid (Cerebral Spinal Fluid) that circulates throughout the brain.
As we sleep , the brain is active clearing out toxins accumulated over the course of the day. The lymphatic system was named for its role in draining toxins from our bodies. The “GL” is a nod to the glymphatic systems on glial cells, the supportive cells in the brain that work largely to maintain homeostasis and protect neurons. Scientific research has noted the dramatic decrease of clearance in compounds causing degeneration during prolonged wakefulness.
Eating a nutrient rich diet conducive to brain detoxification is important.
- Make sure you eat a diet rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and DHA. The brain is 60% fat and needs fat for health.
- Eat fruit. Fruit holds large amounts of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, which play important roles in fueling mental processes.
- Eat organic foods (Avoid foods that may have exposure to pesticides or mycotoxins (fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts)
- Drink plenty of pure water. Water is more abundant in brain tissue (the brain is 70% water) than any other substance. Replacing other drinks with water should become a habit.
- Avoid caffeine-based and stimulatory energy drinks. Caffeinated drinks on a continuous basis dehydrate the body. Avoiding caffeine and stimulants is most important when you are trying to enhance the brains cleaning process.
- Quit eating toxic foods! These include, processed foods, Vegetable oils, high fructose corn syrup/sugars, soy, gluten or grains.
Regular exercise is a great way to detoxify the body. In addition, there are activities that influence the way CSF enters the brain’s glymphatic system.
- Low intensity exercise that burns fat helps eliminate toxins from the body. (Toxins are stored in fat). Detoxifying other organs is important as the body distributes toxins throughout the body, including the brain. Regular exercise also helps the digestive process and sleep patterns.
- Yoga and similar activities are particularly helpful with CSF movement.
- Standing instead of sitting while working during the day moves CSF.
- Breathing exercises and mindfulness activities increase blood flow, circulation and body awareness, which all enhance detoxification.
- Massage and/or chiropractic care will complement proper and efficient lymphatic drainage.
- Consulting a lymphatic specialist (one who is trained in the lymph system and lymphatic drainage) will enhance the immune system and detoxify the body.
4. Consult an Functional / Integrative Medicine Specialist
Our bodies are very complex systems and the brain is possibly the most complex. A significant nutritional imbalance may contribute to brain malfunction. A healthcare practitioner can help identify specific nutritional needs to enhance brain health and for detoxification.
There are a great number of unregulated supplements claiming that they enhance the brain’s function and detoxification. Be sure to follow your healthcare practitioner’s advice in order to avoid these products and any adverse reactions that may occur while using them.
Bonus Step: Keep Your Sinuses Clear
I’ve added this little bonus for those who experience chronic sinusitis. Sinusitis is a common condition, but what many don’t know is that mold exposure can cause it… and mold exposure is linked to brain toxicity.
Inhalation is the primary route toxins have into your body with direct access to your brain and blood system. If you are suffering from sinusitis, rinsing your sinuses with a nasal wash system such as Nasopure or a Neti Pot, will help clear debris, microorganisms, and mycotoxins e.g. mold. Accumulation and/or growth in your sinuses can provide constant exposure to toxins reducing other efforts to detoxify your brain.
Removing the specific toxins from your body by keeping your sinuses clear is likely the single most important step to feeling relief from chronic sinusitis.